Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Long Time, No Write

Wow.  I am embarrassed to see how much time has passed since I last posted.  I am not going to make excuses.  Instead, I will recommit today to write more.  January 3, 2012 is as good a day to recommit, as any, right?  Here we go..... (again.) 

We are knee-deep in Common Core Curriculum at the moment, and have been since around Thanksgiving.  We are trying to wrap our brains around it so that we can make the transition as painless as possible.  As we come across new and different terms or concepts, I will post about them here, so that you can begin rolling these ideas around in your brain.  There will be training at the end of this year, but the sooner we familiarize ourselves with the content, the better.

Today I have been thinking about "semantic gradients," a.k.a. "shades of meaning."  There is a standard in each grade level that requires students, with help, to really study the nuances in vocabulary.  What is the difference between huge and large, for example?  I am excited about the conversations that we will be beginning as we begin to collect and analyze words.

Here is a great little video from Reading Rockets that explains semantic gradients.

No comments:

Post a Comment