Friday, September 11, 2009

On the Radio

The only time I ever really listen to the radio anymore is when I am driving. I have been a long-time listener to Public Radio, almost exclusively. I've decided that I need to purchase a radio for my house. Often, on Sunday afternoons and evenings, Public Radio (National or Georgia) will air interviews with writers--writers of books, songwriters, journalists, etc. I am not usually in my car at such times and therefore never hear the interviews. During the week, as I listen to the previews for the programs, I have been struck by the words of wisdom and familiar thoughts, suggestions and techniques the interviewees apply to writing--theirs or others'. This Sunday, they will be interviewing Pat Conroy, I believe at 8:00 p.m.

One of the reasons that I want to begin listening to these interviews (aside from being interesting and that I am always looking for new ideas) is that I have started something new in my classroom this year. I am posting quotations of various writers. The first few were easy because I already had my favorites. Now I'm looking for more quotes. The catch is that I don't want to just Google quotations. I want to discover them in context. I know the radio interviews will provide a rich source of new material. For me, part of the challenge in making writing a meaningful vocation for students is to make the leap out of the classroom and into the real world. I am hoping my students will recognize that they share some of the same sentiments and challenges expressed by "famous" or "real" writers.

Anybody have any quotes from Beyonce`?

No comments:

Post a Comment