Tuesday, January 10, 2012

You Learn Something New Everyday

On my Internet travels today, I came across this spork.  The question below it asked, "What does a spork have to do with smog?"  You know I couldn't resist finding out.  I learned that they are both portmanteaus, words formed by blending two other words.  I have always loved them, but I had no idea they had their own very high-fallutin'-sounding name. 

I am going to try to find a way to incorportate portmanteaus into my next model lessons.  Wouldn't it be fun to allow our students to play around with words? Blending, melding, and creating words of their very own? 

I don't think it would be just fun.  I think it would be simply frabjous. 

2 comments:

  1. I know about those, but haven't heard of them in a while. Your ideas gave me a chortle (chuckle plus snort). I hope you'll tell us when you have a lesson with your class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! Loved this post. I hope you will share some of the words your students come up with.

    ReplyDelete