Sunday, March 6, 2011

From the Texts of Babes

SOLS Challenge Day 5
I got a debit card and a coffee maker!

This is the text I received from my almost-fifteen-year-old son yesteday.  It made me laugh right out loud. His dad had taken him to the bank to deposit the money he received from school.  (His school pays per semester for straight A's, with the stipulation that you open the account at one particular bank. It's a nice incentive to do well; the amount increases with each year of high school.  We have never paid for grades, so our son thinks it is great that he finally gets monetarily compensated.)

The text made me laugh, but I also felt a twinge in the back of my brain and the bottom of my belly.  Our first-born is growing up... He will turn fifteen this week.  This means that he is old enough to get his learner's permit and he will be able to drive with one adult in the car.   It seems like just yesterday that he was excited to be driving that big old plastic red and yellow car on the playground.

He is already making plans.  Plans for when he'll be driving by himself.  Plans for next Spring Break when he will be traveling to Europe with his classmates.  Plans for where he will attend college. 

I am also planning.  I'm planning to make the most of the little bit of time we have with both of our children at home. Planning to enjoy it. Savor it. Photograph it. Learn from it.

By the way, the coffee maker is a "onesie." He has it up in his room and plans to test it out this morning with hot chocolate.   No coffee yet, thank goodness.  I will hold on to these hot chocolate drinking days as long as possible.

4 comments:

  1. It's good you have realized that these moments will go all to fast. And writing about them will make them even better later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post - I'm ever teary eyed! The contrast between your son's plans and your plans is bittersweet. Glad you still have plenty of hot chocolate days ahead to cherish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know where to start. I am charmed by your post. I love the "twinge in the back of my brain and the bottom of my belly" description. It really made me empathize, although I have no children. I love your lists of his plans, then the contrast in the list of your plans. Plus, the shift to short sentences in your plans really emphasizes them. And you don't stop there...ending with the hot chocolate is the perfect breathe-a-sigh-of-relief ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear it in your voice in this piece. How great he is growing up and making plans, but how sad for you he is growing up and making plans. It is the sad reality, they do leave but they never stop needing you. Enjoy these years, they fly by.

    ReplyDelete