Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Lesson in Humility

Have you ever heard of the game of Mancala? It is one of my favorite games to share with kids. It teaches critical thinking and strategy. On Friday, I had the privilege of playing the Mancala champion of the second/third grade Discovery class at Long Cane Elementary.

The tension was high as my opponent and I sat down across the table from each other. It was determined that the winner would have to be victorious in two out of three games. Approximately 15 little bodies squeezed themselves around us, watching in silence. I shook hands with my opponent and the games began.

In less than 10 minutes, the first two games were over and I had been beaten by a third grader. I had not mentally prepared myself for this possibility! I was a very gracious loser, though, shaking the winner's hand and congratulating him. He gave me a big smile, posed for a picture, and proceeded to dive into the snacks that were provided for this special occasion. I didn't partake in those snacks, though. I was full from the large slice of humble pie I had already eaten. Bon Appetit!