Saturday, April 4, 2009

A Response to Literature

It seems like she comes out with a book every year-- how can they be any good? That is what I used to think about Jodi Picoult. Until I read Keeping Faith. The cover called to me from an airport newstand. I had it read by the time the trip ended. I went on to A Change of Heart from there. (Loved it!) A friend then loaned me Nineteen Minutes. (A must-read for teachers, teens, and parents.) Today I finished My Sister's Keeper.

My Sister's Keeper is about a girl who was planned and conceived to be a perfect genetic match for her sick sister. She is what they call a "designer baby". At the age of 13, she gets herself a lawyer and sues her parents for medical emancipation. She no longer wants to be stuck, poked and prodded so that her sister can live just a little bit longer. This book did not have me "at hello" the way the rest of them did. I really struggled through most of it, but hung in there, knowing that Picoult had some surprises in store for me. I was not disappointed. After I finished, I felt the way I did after the rest of them. I had questions. I wondered. I marveled.

The whole reason I read is to make meaning of life. To gain insight. To be challenged, and to be transformed. I guess this is why I have loved reading these books.

For now, though, I am going to switch gears a bit. I just went to the library and picked up Julie and Julia, 365 days, 524 recipes, 1 tiny apartment kitchen. I vaguely recall hearing about this book a while ago-- I believe it's based on a true story. Maybe I will be inspired to cook during this Spring Break....