Wednesday, October 20, 2010

National Day on Writing 2010


"Whether we call it texting, IMing, jotting a note, writing a letter, posting an email, blogging, making a video, building an electronic presentation, composing a memo, keeping a diary, or just pulling together a report, Americans are writing like never before. Recent research suggests that writing, in its many forms, has become a daily practice for millions of Americans. It may be the quintessential 21st century skill."

Never thought about it like that before!  What are you going to do to celebrate writing in your classroom and life?  I have been doing a few things purposefully to celebrate writing lately.  I have been trying to write more in my writer's notebook.  Sharing it with all students I meet has been a joy.  If you haven't started your own writer's notebook, I highly encourage you to do so.  It proves to your students that you are willing to "walk the walk" and do as you are asking them to do.

Another way to celebrate writing is to start a class blog. I know I have written about this before, but it is a powerful, easy way to publish your students' work.  They love reading and sharing their pieces with their classmates, families, and friends.  Blogger is an extremely user-friendly blogging platform if you are interested in giving it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment