Monday, August 9, 2010

Back in the Saddle

I had a new writing challenge this summer.  Sadly, I had the honor and privilege of writing a eulogy for my brother-in-law, Al. It is difficult to write when your heart is newly broken.

I haven't written a thing since the week of July 12th, with the exception of some cards and emails.  It just hasn't felt right.  It is time, though.  It is time to get back in the saddle.

So.  I've been trying to figure out the lessons we are supposed to be learning from this tragic loss.  This is what I've come up with so far.  These aren't new ideas, and they may sound a little trite, but they ring very true for me these days.

Give.
Work hard.
Pay it forward.
Don't hold grudges.
Take time to do what makes you happy.
Nurture relationships with friends and family.
Don't worry so much about what others think of you.
Take care of yourself as well as you take care of others.
Be kind; you never know what people are going through.

That's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment