Monday, June 28, 2010

Spilling Ink: Section 25

Section 25 of Spilling Ink  is a handy little section with tips for overcoming writer's block.  One of the tips Anne Mazer includes is one that I often use.  She says to do something else-- sit in a garden, read a book, listen to music, or play a game with friends.  This has always worked for me.  I'll go for a run and let my mind relax.  As my feet pound to the beat of the music on my Ipod, a wondrous thing happens.  My brain usually works things out without me concentrating.  I have had several "epiphanies" this way.  It works!

Another strategy that works for me is to read some of my favorite blogs to gather  fresh ideas.  Here are some of the ones I frequent:

By reading what others have written, I am inspired.  This works for kids in the same way--we have to set aside time to let them talk to each other and to share their writing.  Anne Mazer mentions calling her editor when she is stuck.  In the process of explaining the problem, she solves it!   In my opinion,it is critical that our students get that same opportunity so that they can learn from each other and help boost each other over the wall that sometimes blocks their creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment